Monday, March 9, 2009

It's Just a Number....Isn't it?

I've been geocaching for just over 2 years now. This hobby has taken me to places I never knew existed, on hikes I never would have attempted and trips I never would have considered. Soon I will be closing in on that 1000 mark and I gotta admit... I think that's pretty amazing.

I know - it's just a number.....

A couple of weeks ago I spent the day caching with goinggone in Bellingham. First of all let me just say that that is the most organized cacher I have ever met in my life! Between the palm pilot, the GPS and his notebook with hand-written notes on which streets to take, I was kept busy! There was no "I'll just come along for the drive" on this caching day. And don't forget to stamp the cache notes with the "Found" stamp! By 3 that afternoon I had broke my record of 17 caches in one day. Thanks goinggone! What an awesome day and now my record is 26!I know - it's just a number....

The very next day I went to Deep Cove to hike the Baden Powell trail with my friend Carol. With our lunches packed and caches loaded in the GPS we set off in the pouring rain. I wouldn't even consider going to the mall if it was raining but I'll hike for 5 kms if it means I might find one more cache. The hide (GC323A Deep Down Below) proved to be a bit tricky but in the end Carol said those three little words that have come to mean so much to me... "I found it!" One more find.

I know - it's just a number....

Isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the update. And I wondered how going gone did it. Maybe there's something special paper has to offer compared to technology when it comes to geocaching! Who would have thought.